Monday, September 15, 2008

Time To Go Home

I can’t believe it has been three weeks already. Leaving from this event is sort of like leaving summer camp. We were well cared for in this Paralympic event, borderline spoiled. It will be a mild challenge to get back in the groove of normal life. I have missed the beginning of school for my children. They have already established a routine that I will be attempting to plug back into. I will have to get back to cooking! No more prepared buffet lines for me. No more dodging wheelchairs. Back to the land of able bodied. Can you imagine a place where the “normal” bodied are the minority? That is the Paralympic experience!

Good news, bad news. Good news is that I got bumped up to business class for the long leg of the trip. Bad news is that we had a 2-hour rolling delay due to a mechanical problem on the 747. This meant that I missed my connection in San Francisco to Seattle, a mere formality at this point. My strategies of compression stockings, frequent stand/walk/stretch breaks, hydration and sleep moments in coordination with projected Pacific Standard Time will hopefully allow for a minimization of jet lag effects. I have a full schedule in the clinic tomorrow and a looming large pile to catch up with.

In reflection, the trip was awesome. The Paralympic Movement is alive and growing. The athletes are truly amazing! Plenty of drama and incredible stories! China is changing. You can see it in the youth we interacted with on a daily basis. China did an excellent job of hosting these games! We had some great weather days. These athletes serve as important role models and motivators for future generations of disabled people. These athletes help lead the way for making the world more accessible and accepting of people with disabilities.

I am fortunate to have had this experience! I would encourage you all to take the opportunity to either become involved in the promotion of Paralympic development, or just simply become a fan.

Thank you for your readership and sharing of this experience!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your trip has been very inspiring to read about. Thank you for sharing your experience with us this way.

Libby said...

Erik-
I'm moved and inspired by your experience in with the paralympic cycling team! I'm a sports physical therapist and a triathlete. I'm wondering how you got into being a part of the paralympic team as its something I would also love to pursue in the future! Thanks for any input or advice you could give me
(libbymbergman@gmail.com)