Monday, September 8, 2008

Let the Games Begin: Opening Ceremony

Just got back from the opening ceremony of the Paralympic games. Game on!

It is midnight here in Beijing. Well past my bedtime. The opening ceremony was great! The stadium is huge! There are many, many countries represented. We have one of the largest delegations, just over 200 members strong.

The stadium was packed! Australia and the home team (China) got the biggest cheers. The program was outstanding. It included many performance elements surrounding disabilities. Very well thought out. I hear from home that some of the opening ceremony was covered on television by the Canadian Broadcast Company (CBC). Seattle gets this station being so close to Canada.

The lighting of the Olympic/Paralympic flame this evening means ... Game on! .

Competitions start tomorrow. Our velodrome bike racing starts tomorrow. We have track people doing pursuits and a kilo. I am going to the velodrome with the tandem riders (sight impaired) for the kilometer race.

We were also at the road course today. I began talking with a local Chinese gentleman who knew English. Many Chinese youth are taking English language in school and take on Western names. Turns out his name was Leo! Leo is my son’s name. Weird! Out of all the Chinese population, I find a Leo. I told him how big my Leo was and he thought that was pretty big for an 11-year-old.

Just a reminder, take a look at the links I provided on my first post. These links will get you towards live event coverage via internet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Opening Ceremonies sound terrific, Erik! Your word pictures are great. So - what are the Brits doing to be so successful in the cycling events?